Dear Members and Clients,
As the New Year gets underway we would like to wish you, our member organisations and client enterprises, every success for 2014, and to share with you some developments regarding the support and promotion of Irish craft and design.
We are pleased to have recently signed a three-year agreement with Enterprise Ireland, our main funder, which outlines the services we are undertaking to support and promote Irish craft and design.
The agreement sets out our sectoral remit as the national development organisation for crafts and design in Ireland, trading as the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland. Reflecting this remit, our current strategy is focused on:
· developing the market for Irish craft and design
· developing the knowledge and skills for emerging and existing craftmakers
· raising awareness, understanding and appreciation of Irish craft and design
· supporting membership organisations in the development of the sector
· developing innovation, enterprise and design capabilityAmending our trading name allows us to more accurately reflect and formally acknowledge our existing remit which includes supporting and promoting Irish craft and product-related design enterprises in growing domestic and international sales. A survey of our client enterprises in 2011 was supportive of this name change. Our legal name will remain the same. We will continue to partner with other organisations who are involved with the promotion and support of Irish craft and design.
We would also like to advise you that the Government is supporting the Year of Irish Design 2015 as a proposal that emerged from the recent Global Irish Economic Forum, which represents a very exciting opportunity for Irish craft and design. This initiative follows the successful Year of Craft 2011 and the celebrations throughout 2013 of the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Kilkenny Design Workshops, both of which continue to have a strong legacy. We look forward to your involvement in preparing for 2015 and will be in regular contact to keep you advised on progress with this initiative.
Working together, we believe there is a great future for Irish craft and design.
If you would like to discuss any of the above please do not hesitate to contact Karen Hennessy our Chief Executive at firstname.lastname@example.org.
With sincere good wishes for 2014 and beyond,
Laura Magahy, Chairman
On behalf of the Board